What the heck am I doing?
That question happens around the half way mark when the reality of a likely finish time sinks in...if only I can hold this pace! Although I may have done it once in a training run, running the second half faster than the first is unlikely and unrealistic. Oh well, better just enjoy the run.
Here are some other thoughts a runner has during a half marathon:
- Don't go out too fast. Did I go out too fast? I told myself to start slowly and ease into race pace. Why did I go out too fast?
- Did I hydrate properly before the race? Did I balance the electrolyte with enough water?
- I hope the gels don't make my stomach turn. Wish I hadn't changed my usual brand at the last minute? Hope I brought enough gels.
- Do all these runners in front of me need to be chatting so much? And they're smiling! Wish I could smile. I'm smiling, right?
- If I stay in front of the 2 hour pace bunny I'll finish under 2 hours! The 2 hour pace bunny must be running too fast. Why is the 2 hour pace bunny pulling ahead.
- I overdressed. I overdressed. I overdressed!
- I see the finish. Pick up the pace. Smile. Breathe. Forget breathing...smile for the finish line camera!
First thought on crossing the finish line: "I'm never doing that again!"
Thought about 10 minutes later: "That wasn't so bad...when's the next race?"
Until next time...