What was I thinking in my last blog post? (Running doesn't solve everything). Running does solve everything. On every run I've been on I've been able to 'solve all the problems of the universe' multiple times. If only I could remember the solutions after I finished...
Getting 'into the zone' where all the problems of the world disappear is magical. Some days it happens quickly on others it only happens during the final kilometre. I've always experienced it though no matter the run.
So running does solve everything...these are my top 5:
- It solves the problem of what to do for an hour at 5 am in the morning. It's better to go out running rather than trolling on Facebook.
- Running allows you to talk to yourself without being called crazy. Fess up: you've had at least one run where you huffed out loud, "Come on...I can do this!!!". Or the other version, "#%#!!%#@@!!...this is hard!!"
- Running is better than swimming, biking. Swimming - drive to public pool; put on bathing suit; shower; then get wet in a chlorinated pool. In the cold winter months this is a chilly affair. Biking - buy bike, carry up and down elevator, store in apartment; give Spouse a reason to get angry. And biking in the city? Unlike Holland with dedicated bike roads, sharing the road with cars in Toronto is like playing chicken.
- Running can be done alone. Sure you can run with a group but it isn't absolutely necessary. Just get up, put on running gear and get outside.
- You meet the nicest people running. Really. Sure all we talk about is running, getting injured and recovering from injury but it sure beats talking about politics and religion. Maybe if more clerics and politicians ran things would run more smoothly (sorry...I couldn't resist the pun).
Until next time...