I'm well over 7 reasons why running is the best sport. Then again I've been running for over 30 years. Here are my Top 7:
- Running is the best sport for getting fit quickly. By the simple fact that running requires to move your entire body mass with only your personal power, running is the most effective way to drive up the heart rate and metabolism...both of which burn calories.
- Running is easy to do. All of us can run...go for a walk, speed up the pace then ease into a trot. That's it. One foot in front of the other. No complicated instructions, equipment or skill required. Yes you can 'tech it up' with microfibre and spandex clothing along with high-tech running shoes but that's a personal choice.
- Running reduces stress. Endorphins are released when doing any physical exercise and combined with the simplicity of running maximizes the 'zone out' benefits. Going out for a run is the only time we can be truly free of communication technology. That break alone is worth it!
- Running will incease your quality of life. Thinking about running, dreaming even, and of course talking about running with running friends. Nothing beats a good road running story. Plus what else do you have to talk about before and after a race?
- Running is a sport. Unlike golf which is really a game, running is a sport: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others"
- Running is fun. Seriously. There are no team mates, no ball/puck/disc to worry about. Usually no one is watching so I can fantasize about looking like an elite marathoner. Running is a solitary activity that frees my mind to scheme and dream. What's more fun than that?
- Running is relaxing. I know, that sounds like an oxymoron. With nothing to focus on but breathing and keeping one foot in front of the other, is my favourite form of relaxation.
I was pretty lousy at team sports growing up. Swimming, biking were more my thing. I came to running late but has it ever been good to me!
Until next time...