I'm not clairvoyant but I do see trends in the job market and I share those insights individually with my candidates and clients. Some major events that will affect us: As the economy continues to rebound, companies will continue to grow and hire; Municipal elections in fall 2014 combined with an expected Provincial Spring election in Ontario may will keep things interesting; The Pan Am Games in 2015 will keep us growing in the Greater Toronto Area. More specifically, in marketing the biggest growth areas will be in digital marketing. S here are my predictions for 2014:
- Continued growth in eCommerce especially in the traditional retail sector: bricks and mortar stores will be working hard to figure out how to sell online and deliver in-store.
- Digital Strategy will change to just 'Strategy'. The distinction between 'Traditional' and 'Digital' will finally vanish.
- 'Mobile' will finally be recognized for what it is not: it is not a strategy! Mobile is how people use technology: anything anywhere anytime!
- Clients will continue to build digital expertise in-house. Agencies beware!
- Advertising will be exposed for what it really is: sell stuff to people. We're already there in the instant-results-driven digital space.
For a another take on predictions, here is a recent article from the Huffington Post with predictions for 2014 from Isaac Asimov...from 50 years ago!
The most accurate prediction is that 2014 will be another year of change. Are you ready?