- Growing interest and participation from Female runners who now make up nearly 50% participants at most Marathon Events. In the USA, Black Girls Run (BGR) is a prominent group of female runners who train and travel to races.
- Increased interest in and growth of the Half Marathon event. (The Half Marathon's Amazing Growth)
How do you get Social Media Marketing working for a Sports Tourism event? Here are three key things from my experience at Reggae Marathon:
- Runner experience at the event. While the location may be a vacation destination, runners are there to run. Their race experience must be top-notch. They will be comparing it to other events; they will talk about it on Social Media. A positive experience is a key plank of a Social Media Marketing Plan. For example, at Reggae Marathon a running event I've been going to for a number of years now, the race runs flawlessly: registration, kit pick up, starts on time, frequent aid stations, chip timing, post race re-hydration and recovery area...these matter.
- Destination Attractions. It is a vacation as well so the hotel properties should provide a great vacation experience. Local attractions that will enhance the overall vacation experience. Again, at Reggae Marathon the 7 miles of white sand beach set the stage for a great beach vacation. Tours to watch the sunset, local waterfall attraction and Rum producer top off the experience.
- Sharing the Experience. Like other tourists and event participants, Runners love Selfies! And they love to share. Instagram, Twitter and Facebook are currently the Big Three in Social Media marketing. At Reggae Marathon, the specific hashtag (#reggaemarathon) identifies and tracks all user generated photos, updates, videos across all three simultaneously.
Chris M Morales
Chris M Morales
647 393 3855
Linkedin: Chris M Morales