|Zen baby, Zen!|
My Doctor was concerned so she sent me for a battery of heart tests...stress, electrocardiogram, ultrasound. Her concluding diagnosis: "40 beats per minute is abnormal...but it's your normal". Sally got a kick out of that notion that 'my normal is abnormal'. It may just explain my mellow state. It explains a lot. And it got me thinking: what else beats at 40 beats a minute. To answer that of course I Googled it:
- First up was this article, "My heart rate is 40 beats a minute, does this mean I'm in good shape?". My favourite answer noted that only Sages and Monks had heart rates that low. Hmmm...Sage...I quite like that!
- In music, I am a 'Lento'. That means music at a 'leisurely' 40 beats per minute. One great example is this one from Charles Mingus, "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat". Not so good to run to...ideal though for relaxing and meditating; Perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon...Zen!
- And speaking of running, with the change to forefoot running, I'm up to just over 160 step rate...that's 4 x 40. Don't you just love math.
- Also at 40 beats are Hummingbirds. Of course, they flap their wings at 40 beats per second!
- In cycling, the current theory is that the ideal cadence is 80 RPM: 2 times my resting heart rate
- Driving in a school zone in Toronto: 40 Km/hr. Hmmm...
- And still on driving, my comfort speed is 120 kpm: 3 x 40.
- This past year I celebrated the 15 anniversary of my 40th birthday. OK, I didn't find that on Google...
I could continue but that would be beating a dead horse. The bottom line is that I'm healthy, still running and enjoying every minute of it.
Until next time...