- I did not fuel up properly. No breakfast. Gulped down a gel at the start and another at 5K. Kids, don't try this for your next race. I was energy-depleted almost from the start and no amount of water or Gatorade could overcome that.
- I didn't hydrate properly. A couple of glasses of water when I got up at 4:30 am but the large coffee to 'caffeine up' effectively expelled that.
- Couldn't catch my breath. A combination of going out a little too fast combined with the warm temperature and bright sunshine are the likely culprits.
- I didn't wear a hat. For some reason I didn't take into account that from 5K to the end there was no shade. Dousing my head and neck with water at two aid stations at 6K and 8K helped but by then the damage had already been done.
Now the good stuff. Canada Running Series who organize and put on the race know how to take care of runners. This was my second race with them this season (Spring Run Off Apr 9) and once again they did a great job. They sure know how to take care of runners!
- Very well organized bag check. I love the clear plastic pouches everyone has to use to check baggage. Can't bring everything...have to choose carefully.
- Well managed start corrals. I get to start toward the front and love the feeling of being 'elite' even though it is fleeting
- Lots of water stations with many volunteers on hand. I must say though that Reggae Marathon has a better hydration solution with their sealed plastic pouches. Easier to drink from, a whole lot less messy and way less garbage.
- Great post-race experience with lots of drink and food and entertainment. They had a live band playing, get this...Reggae! Thought I was in Negril at Reggae Marathon for a minute.
So three races in three months. I've been bitten by the 10K racing bug. On the hunt now for other 10K's this summer. Feels good to be racy again and will have the wind at my back soon.
Until next time...