Yes, you can buy a pre-mixed package from a West Indian store such as Nicey's http://www.niceysfoodmart.com/ but this is much more fun.
This golden treat can be enjoyed with any meal, but is especially delicious with breakfast. It has the texture of a donut, but is not as sweet and is delicous when dipped in gravy.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. margarine
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil for frying
- In one large bowl, sift flour and baking powder
- Add cornmeal, sugar, nutmeg, salt, margarine, lime juice and enough water to bind mixture to a manageable dough
- Leave to stand for two minutes
- Heat Oil in a pan, shape festival into fingers and fry
- Drain on absorbent paper.